Apply for a Grant
Thanks for your interest in craig newmark philanthropies!
craig newmark philanthropies supports public charities in good standing described under Sections 501(c)(3) and 509(a)(1) or (2) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended, that further our priorities of trustworthy journalism, voter protection, women in technology, veterans and military families. Specifically:
- Our trustworthy journalism and information ecosystem priority focuses on efforts that promote an honest press and counter disinformation. We rarely fund specific, often local, journalism outlets and efforts.
- Our voter protection priority focuses on defending the Fifteenth Amendment. This work includes voter registration, legislation and policy, and improvements to the electoral system.
- Our women in technology priority focuses on national initiatives that are working to solve the gender gap in technology. We do not fund tech startups or individuals who are seeking assistance with their tech educations and/or careers.
- Our vets and military families priority focuses on efforts that help vets and their families from a broad, national perspective. We typically fund local efforts indirectly, via the Bob Woodruff Foundation.
Learn about our guidelines for ethically supporting news organizations.
If your nonprofit's project fits within our priorities and you are still interested in applying for a grant, please fill out the PDF form linked below, and upload the completed form with requested supporting materials.
We are proactively identifying qualified public charities to support. We apologize in advance that we can't review and fund every request. If we plan to support your nonprofit, we will follow up with you.
- Download this PDF -> Information Request and Checklist Form
- Fill out, sign, and save downloaded form
- Fill out submission web form below and attach filled out Information Request and Checklist Form
- Also attach any additional requested supporting materials listed below.
- Submit form