About Craig Newmark Philanthropies
I'm aware that I got lucky financially and should share that in ways that are meaningful and contribute to the common good. That's why I support groups that are already doing good work defending the values this country aspires to, like fairness, opportunity, and respect. They're helping to strengthen American democracy.
My goal is to support and connect people and drive broad civic engagement, working to advance grassroots organizations that are effective and getting stuff done in areas that include:
- Trustworthy journalism & the information ecosystem
- Voter protection
- Women in tech
- Veterans & military families
Then, I get out of the way to let them do their jobs because they are the experts.
When it comes to funding nonprofit journalism, I've adopted the guidelines of the American Press Institute, which say to be hands-off and transparent. I also make sure to do no harm.
Those who do well should take less and give more. Let's each do our part to serve the public interest. We need all hands on deck.
Craig Newmark is a Web pioneer, philanthropist, and leading advocate. Most commonly known for founding the online classified ads service craigslist, Newmark works to support and connect people and drive broad civic engagement. In 2016, he founded Craig Newmark Philanthropies to advance people and grassroots organizations that are "getting stuff done" in areas that include trustworthy journalism & the information ecosystem, voter protection, women in technology, and veterans & military families. At its core, all of Newmark's philanthropic work helps to strengthen American democracy by supporting the values that the country aspires to - fairness, opportunity, and respect.
Jason serves as general counsel, officer, and director of Craig Newmark Philanthropies. He has over 20 years of experience helping clients with their most challenging issues. In addition to having served as pro bono legal counsel for children and the wrongfully convicted, he presently serves on the board of a local cooperative school in San Francisco.
Craig Newmark’s Board Memberships
- Blue Star Families
- Center for Public Integrity
- Columbia Journalism Review
- CUNY Graduate School of Journalism
- Girls Who Code
- Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America
- News Integrity Initiative
- Poynter Foundation
- Sunlight Foundation
- Women in Public Service Project
Craig Newmark’s Advisory Board Memberships
- Bob Woodruff Foundation
- City College of San Francisco – Veterans Educational Transition Services Lounge
- Consumers Union/Consumer Reports
- Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF)
- Electronic Privacy Information Center
- New America Foundation
- McCarthy Center for the Common Good
- Organic Health Response
- Service to School
- Sierra Club (Art and Entertainment Council)
- Shorenstein Center on Media, Politics and Public Policy
- Swords to Plowshares
- U.S. Veterans Affairs Center for Innovation
- Voto Latino
- Wikipedia (Wikimedia Foundation)
- Women Who Tech