Folks, the 4th annual Veterans Charity Challenge just came to a close, and lots of money was raised for nonprofits supporting veterans, military families, and other American heroes who risk their lives for us. The Craig Newmark Philanthropic Fund donated $50K to the Challenge in an effort to give back.
Altogether the nonprofits involved received more than $300,000 in donations from almost 2,000 donors. This is a 66% increase in online donations from 2015.
Big congrats to the top winners:
- $20,000 goes to Hero Dogs
- $10,000 goes to Warrior Canine Connection
- $5,000 goes to Dogs on Deployment
- $2,500 goes to National Military Family Association
- $1,000 goes to Veteran Tickets Foundation
Throughout the course of the Challenge, there have been weekly Bonus Challenges, and an additional $11,500 was given away. The winners of the Bonus Challenges:
- Hero Dogs raised the most online during the first Bonus Challenge and won $1,500.
- Swords to Plowshares and Veteran Tickets Foundation raised at least $500 during the second Bonus Challenge and won $1,500.
- Two orgs played Rock, Paper, Scissors during the third Bonus Challenge, and Hero Dogs won the $1,000 prize and Warrior Canine Connection won the $500 prize.
- There were 10 winners during the fourth Bonus Challenge, and each of these charities raised at least $200 during this week: Warrior Canine Connection, Hero Dogs, Veteran Tickets Foundation, Healing 4 Heroes, VetTechTrek, Operation Dignity, Dogs on Deployment, VetsInTech, Women Injured in Combat, and Guardian Angels Medical Service Dogs.
- Dogs on Deployment, Hero Dogs, The National Military Family Association, and Warrior Canine Connection raised the most money total during the fifth Bonus Challenge, and they each won $500.
- Hero Dogs raised at least $1,500 during the sixth and final Bonus Challenge, and in turn, won $1,500.
Congratulations to all the winners, and to the orgs who participated and had the opportunity to raise more money for their cause. I’d like to keep in mind that the goal of this competition is to bring awareness to good nonprofits that you may have never heard of, and to help give back to those who give back to us every day.
With Independence Day just passing, this is just another reminder that if we’re able, we should remember to help out orgs like these year-round.